Irvin Fuerst

Services for Irvin H. Fuerst will be held on Thursday, Nov. 5, 2020, at 10 a.m. at Bibb-Veach Funeral Home in Bowling Green. Visitation will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 4, 2020, from 4-7 p.m. with burial at Keith Cemetery at New Hartford, Mo. Mr. Fuerst died at the Missouri Veterans Hospital in Columbia on Friday, Oct. 30, 2020.

Irvin Herbert Fuerst was born July 24, 1942, at Normandy, Mo., at his parent’s home. He is the second son of Anthony August Fuerst and Flora Korman Fuerst. He has four siblings: Richard (deceased), Arlene, Cliff, and Edward.

His family bought property at New Hartford, Mo., while Irvin was in his early high school years. He stayed with a close family friend while he attended Bowling Green High School and graduated from the school in May 1961. During his high school years in Bowling Green he was active in weightlifting. His best friend Joey Moss gave him a lifelong nickname “Poopsie” because of the way he would lift weights. His son, Terry, also has the same nickname.

Upon graduation, he worked for two years for Pepsi and Pike County Roads until entering the Navy on March 21, 1963. Upon completion of basic training at Great Lakes, he learned he was the top of his basic training class. He was assigned to the USS Cone as an Engineer Man (Engine). He was honorably discharged Feb. 25, 1968. He was on liberty in November 1963 in Italy when President John Kennedy was assassinated. He has stated the tension on his ship was very high as all crew was called back to the ship upon news of the assassination.

Boxing matches were common on the main deck and bets were taken to make extra money. Irvin would box and win often to make extra money to send back home to his family. Because of his height and love of boxing he was given the nickname “Shorty” while on the USS Cone.

Irvin began working at Hercules in Louisiana, Mo., after his discharge from the Navy as a pipefitter in 1968. Over the course of his employment of 30 years, he rose to the position of shift superintendent where he oversaw the operations of the plant for his shift. Irvin was gifted with his hands in the fields of pipefitting, carpentry, electrical and other areas, which his son also inherited from him. He retired after 30 years when he had major heart problems.

Irvin married his first wife, Lana Caldwell, in December 1965. His first child, Terry, was born the next year. A daughter, Shelly, arrived in March 1970.  His son, Terry, is married to Lori Bigley and resides on the family farm in New Hartford. Irvin’s granddaughter Kennedy, lives in St. Louis.

Irvin married his second wife, Diane Miller, on June 12, 1979. They met on a blind date that was arranged by his ex-sister-in-law. Irvin tells a story of his wife’s first and only hunting trip with him. They were squirrel hunting when she saw a squirrel and a woodpecker in a tree. She took aim at the squirrel but hit the woodpecker instead on the branch below the squirrel. It was her last hunting expedition since Irvin thought it was so amusing. Irvin and Diane built a home on the family farm where she currently resides. In 2004, they celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary by taking a cruise to Alaska.

Irvin was a disciplined individual who was self-assured in making his own decisions. He enjoyed researching the medical field and at one-point thought about becoming an EMT. His Grandfather Korman would take him hunting and fishing as a child, which developed into a love for hunting and collecting guns as he grew up. He is a super marksman and collected guns. He is very helpful to friends and family and enjoys working together with others to complete projects.

His parents; daughter, Shelly; and brother, Richard, all died earlier.

He is survived by his spouse, Diane of New Hartford; son, Terry, and wife, Lori, of New Hartford; granddaughter, Kennedy, of St. Louis; brother, Cliff, and wife, Debby, of New Hartford; brother, Edward, of New Hartford; sister, Arlene, and husband, Bob, of St. Charles; and nieces and nephews.

Pallbearers are: Brad Lucas, Mike Craig, Tom McCleery, Tracy Northcutt, Walter Northcutt, and Rick Daugherty. Honorary pallbearers are Randy Morris, Jesse Lucas, and Henry Parrish.

Memorials may be made to the Keith Cemetery of New Hartford, Mo.

To plant a tree in memory of Irvin Fuerst as a living tribute, please visit Tribute Store.

Sign A Guestbook

Offer a personal message of sympathy...

By sharing a fond memory or writing a kind tribute, you will be providing a comforting keepsake to those in mourning. If you have an existing account with this site, you may log in with that below. Otherwise, you can create an account by clicking on the Log in button below, and then register to create your account.