Lee Street Apartment Fire

Three fire departments answered the call to fight this fire. Cause of the fire is still under investigation. Photo by Stan Schwartz

BOWLING GREEN—Fire did heavy damage to two Lee Street Apartments in one building early Saturday morning leaving one injured and two families without a home.

According to Fire Chief Adam Mitalovich, the Bowling Green Fire Department received the call at 2:19 a.m. He noted that because the firefighters are volunteers, they had to get to the fire station first in order to get their fire fighting vehicles.

“Firefighters arrived on scene 8 minutes later and found flames coming from the front and rear of the structure,” he wrote in a news release about the fire. “Firefighters were able to perform an interior and exterior attack on the fire and had the fire controlled within 20 minutes of being on scene.

“Once the flames were out, the firefighters remained on the scene for several hours performing salvage and overhaul operations to ensure the fire was completely extinguished. Damage from the fire was contained to the single building but did damage two different apartments.

“In total, two families were displaced by the fire. BGFD responded with a total of 12 firefighters. BGFD was assisted by Buffalo Township Fire Protection District, Eolia Community Fire Protection District, Pike County Memorial Hospital EMS, Bowling Green Police Department, Pike County Sheriff’s Department and Pike County 911. The cause of the fire was investigated by Missouri Division of Fire Safety and the exact cause remains undetermined.”

The Lee Street Apartments are actually duplexes, said Bowling Green Police Chief Don Nacke. He said his department received the call at about 2 a.m., and when the police units arrived the building had heavy fire inside. The one apartment had a lot of fire damage, he added, and the apartment that was attached to it, received a lot of heat and smoke damage.

 The person, whose apartment burned, was transported to the hospital with smoke inhalation, Nacke said. The status of the person injured is not known.

Recommended for you