EOLIA – St. John’s Episcopal Church in Eolia (.2 miles on H off of D) is celebrating its annual Homecoming on Oct. 6 at a 10 a.m. Holy Communion service.
St. John’s is the oldest continuously in use Episcopal Church west of the Mississippi River and is a member of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri. The church was founded by a group of families who had moved west from Virginia, bringing with them their Episcopal faith. They met in homes until they increased in numbers and felt they could organize as a church. The church was formally organized in May of 1853 and accepted into the Diocese of Missouri at the 13th annual convention held later that year. It was originally called the Prairieville Parish.
In 1855 it was decided to build a church and subscriptions obtained — Today this would be considered a capital campaign! At the 1856 annual diocesan convention the name was changed to St. John’s, Prairieville.
The church is a Virginia style brick structure. It still has no heat other than the two wood stoves on each side of the building.
There will be a carry in meal after the service. It is a time when descendants of past members gather to share memories and updates on family now spread across the country. Everyone is welcome to attend the service and join in the meal afterwards.